Back at the Hospital

Lifestyle / Tuesday, April 29th, 2014

I never ever EVER liked going to the hospital. However, it feels like I live there. I am a pro at getting an IV and blood taken. And now that I’ve gone through childbirth, when they ask me my pain on a scale of 1-10, I refer to 10 as being childbirth. Which is helpful so that both doctor and patient are on the same page of how much pain is really there.

Friday night, really early Saturday morning I was suddenly in a ton of pain. Right where my diaphragm is, under my rib cage. I could barely breath, I couldn’t move, My body was shaking and clammy. All I could do was cry. After Adrien helped me get dressed, we headed to the hospital to figure out what was going on.

Baby in tow, we sped down the highway in the middle of the night. Only when we were at the hospital did I take a minute to think ‘I only have one wipe left in the diaper bag, and we didn’t bring any bottles of formula in case I can’t breast feed in here for some reason.’

I sat in the waiting area in the Emergency for about 5 minutes before someone came in. I was immediately
taken into a private room, hooked up to an IV, given Morphine and had an exam. Turns out morphine is one heck of a drug, I was on cloud nine in minutes. Unfortunately, the morphine meant I could no longer breast feed Gregory until it was out of my

This was the first time Gregory would be leaving me. I was going to stay in the hospital and Adrien was going home with Bean. I bawled my eyes out. 7 weeks this little man has been my everything. He is the last thing I think about when I go to sleep, and the first thing when I wake. Any hiccup, sneeze, coo, cry or whimper has my full attention.

I had some time waiting for an ultrasound, and after in the hallway waiting to be wheeled back to my room and took that opportunity to take some awesome selfies while high. I was having a good time and at some point I wondered if there were any security cameras around watching me. Low and behold I look up and there were 2.

My ultrasound determined I had gall stones. Many, in fact. And they had been there for quite some time. It is a common occurrence after pregnancy that a gall bladder may have to be removed or causes discomfort. For the first 3 weeks after birth I figured my pains were just my organs settling back down in my abdomen, apparently not.

I feel great now, and I will continue to feel great, until I don’t. Then I’ll go back to the hospital and have my gall bladder removed. I am slightly scared for the thought of impending surgery, but now I know what to do and how to react when I feel that pain again. And that is why I was in the hospital.